Thursday, December 20, 2012

coogee beach: results day

wearing: Parrow Bow Bandeau Bikini - Dotti - $10 - on sale rrp: $30

Yesterday year 12 students found out their results from the infamous Higher School Certificate. Anxious kids got up at 6am to check. I didn't end up getting up till at least 8:30. I'm pretty happy with what I got, surprised mostly, cause I honestly was expecting worse. My school ranked 4th in the state: so proud of all of them! So to celebrate or more so to take our minds off of it, my bestfriends and I and my friend Terry, went to the beach to let off steam. Yesterday was one of the first days, in years and I mean years, that I stepped out in a bikini at the beach. During the whole adolescent stage of my life, I was so body conscious that I didn't have the guts to step out into such a public place with only two pieces of fabric covering your bits and bobs - it absolutely frightened me. But yesterday I think I got to a point in my life where I realised, who cares - as long as you're happy and having fun, stuff the rest. It felt deliriously amazing to be in the water, (not so much now cause I'm sunburnt), but nonetheless exhilarating. Honestly can't wait to spend more time at the beach.

But since I got onto the topic of body issues, Gracie's fingers can't stop typing right now lolol. I want to talk about how popular culture has a duty in its actions in shaping the mentality of hundreds of thousands of girls, ladies and women.

Imagine you have a scale infront of you and the needle range is, from left to right, skinny to voluptuous. I reckon I sit in the middle, I'm  average sized, but the more I think about it, the needle for me probably sits slightly tilted to the right.

It's the sheer ability of our minds to alter what we believe is true. I think to some extent, we're all body conscious, everyone.

The other day I was out shopping with my best friend, I pointed out a girl, whom I felt was of equal body size to me. I asked him, is my body like hers? He said, no your skinnier. And for some reason this moment stuck with me and especially cause its from a guys perspective. In all honesty I know some people just say stuff like "no you are skinny" out of respect or even pity. But coming from my best friend, whom wouldn't sugar coat it cause that's the kind of relationship we have, you kind of take a step back and go, oh hey I'm not that fat.

Which brings me to my next point, I think I watched this on some show, where a whole line of women were lined up and the main lady was told to position herself in the life in accordance to where she felt her body sat at. And every single time the women would position themselves near the wider end. It's later revealed that she's the thinnest ones there. This is the most basic evidence of how every women sees themselves bigger than they really are.

It's like we're programmed to add weight mentally when we look in the mirror - which in all honesty scares me. It's like.. woahhh deception.

I don't know, just something to think about. If you've actually read this far, I commend you hahas.

p.s. world's ending tomorrow apparently - greaaaaat..... apocalypse before I'm even 18

x
gracie